Philosophical Urban Theories: The Real(m) of Relph

The only knowledge I had of theories going into urban design were those glossed over when studying Corbusier in a mandatory architectural history class. As you'd imagine when you're in a stuffy lecture hall with 60 other people, who just like you all have better things to do on a Thursday morning at 8a.m. and who all don't want to be there, much of that information is retained. But as I was delving into the world of Urban Design theories I started to feel that knowledge come back to me. As I found I do not much care for theories about the outcome or being (form) of urban design but rather what formed the ideals that created what we know today as urban design I quickly found myself drawn back to Corbusier’s Contemporary City. Steeping in societal ideals it dealt with rationalization and choreography; moving parts to make a whole. The tagline for societal theory is “the city as an expression of society”, I stared at that statement for hours. How can a city form society when that forms it itself? I found myself much more intrigued and conflicted with the question “what makes a city?” than I was about the cities effects.

Looking further into philosophical urban design theories I came across the name Edward Relph. I had never heard of him before nor had I read his work but he addresses what I was questioning all this time “what makes a place what it is?”. There seems to be so much time spent nowadays on where something is, and how to get there, and what form it is that that seems like the only information anyone ever needs. But as I was delving deeper into Relphs work such as “On the Identity of Places” from 1976 that all of these things we use to point to places (semiotics), and the way we build or why we build places as a society (Marxian political economy) all hang off of what Relph studies: Phenomenology. More specifically the phenomenon of space.

Through studies Relphs work I found myself standing still in more places wondering about my senses and feelings in the space itself. If I caught myself I would question further; what where the tangible and intangible features, what was the structure of the place, and who was I within it? Though phenomenology and Relphs work fascinates me I have trouble not seeing past what seems to be redundancy. Built environments create different senses of place whether they have physical manifestations in a location or not. Often, we build to chase a sense of place or to create a certain experience (or sense of place). However, what was the initial sense of place that created the first sense of place to create a different one, and from there a denser one? And then when you create an urban environment to give a user a “sense of place” doesn’t that defeat the theory of phenomenology and bring you straight back to the basic societal theory of urban design, except now we choreograph the user’s senses?

The identity of place is a topic that I am really interested about in itself and will continue to research on. The theories behind it seem looping and interconnecting with other extensive and sometimes contradicting theories which I feel will lead to some interesting theoretical analysis of urban designs in the future and influence my very own designs.


~Hanna

Comments

  1. I totally agree with your statement about having limited knowledge about urban design coming into this class. As a landscape architecture student, we often design in the urban setting, but I have never really thought about all of the information learned in this class, until I have learned the importance of all of these different elements. This information can help all of us become better designers and help us give people a "sense of place".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly how i felt! i've been designing in the urban setting for so long in architecture and we always think about experience and place in our project but we never really expand into the urban environment outside our site which, is so important.

      Delete
  2. I also feel spatial phenomenology is very interesting. City planning is a sense of space design. Because the most important user of the city is human beings. People's senses can be deceived, which is why some small spaces give people a vast feeling. However, some larger spaces make people feel crowded. Design elements like lines, colors, and materials can all determine the sense of human space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you brought the formal design elements to this has opened up a whole new realm about thinking about place making, often i feel as though we use these element in the smaller design and in site analysis but we don't expand enough into the planning aspect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THIS is why we need Urban Design.

A Little Bit About Me

Code, Urban Design, Place-making, and You